The Olympics are huge, expensive multi-sporting events that (in theory) occur every two years (Summer Olympics every four years, and Winter Olympics every four years between those). They have been controversial because hosting them often requires cities to build costly specialised infrastructure that basically has no use once the games are over. In recent years fewer and fewer cities have even put themselves forward to host the games, and those which have have been less willing to build these kinds of “white elephants”.
- : 🏟 My Preferred Olympic Winner Order: Watching the Olympics this morning, I think I’ve decided the order in which I like to see countries win events. …
- : 🏟 The Tokyo Olympics Begin: I stayed up ’til 1am last night watching the Olympics Opening Ceremony in Tokyo. I don’t think I’ve …
- : 🏟 Link: “Olympic cities can become multi-billion-dollar graveyards for white elephants after the Games”
- : 🧶 Link: “British diver Tom Daley knits dog jumper and cosy for Olympic Games gold medal”
- : 🚊 Link: “A bunch of mayors wanted better trains, so they won Brisbane the 2032 Olympics”