Catalonia is an autonomous region of Spain where Catalan is the dominant language; it can also refer, more broadly, to all the lands where Catalan was once, and in some places still is, the dominant language (els Països Catalans). I studied Catalan for two years at uni and wrote my honours thesis about children’s experience of the Spanish Civil War in Barcelona, so I suppose I have some interest in the place! I have also visited once (in 2013).
- : 💬 Catalan: Catalan belongs to the Occitano-Romance branch of the Romance languages. It is largely spoken in eastern Spain, …
- : 🇪🇸 Micro post: Interesting article on Catalan nationalists joining the Esperanto movement (external link) early last century. …
- : 🇪🇸 Link: “In Catalonia, Class Struggle and National Dispute Have Gone Hand in Hand”
- : 💬 Link: ““Los insultos y las conversaciones en catalán nos suenan a broma””
- : 📚 Book review: The Body Hunter by Najat El Hachmi (★★★½)
- : 📚 Book review: Amb ulls de nena by Encarnació Martorell i Gil
Jessica Smith is a socialist and a feminist who loves animals, books, gaming, and cooking; she’s also interested in linguistics, history, technology and society.