Chilli Con Carne
A delicious, hearty stew of minced meat, tomatoes and peppers. Served here with rice.
- Serves: 5
- Time to Make: approx. 45 minutes
- 500g minced meat (I use turkey or chicken)
- 250g (uncooked weight) white rice
- 2 cans diced tomato, or 1 can and some tomato paste
- 1 can (~240g drained weight) kidney beans
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large yellow capsicum (or 2 small)
- 50g chopped jalapeños
- 50mL lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15g) minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp hot paprika (or mild paprika + chilli powder)
- 1 tsp oregano
- cooking oil spray
- Optionally, cook a pot of rice to the side. It depends whether you want to ladle your chilli over plain rice (in which case yes, do this) or cook the rice mixed with everything else (in which case don’t, and add rice later).
- Pre-heat a heavy-bottomed, lidded pot over medium-high heat. Chop your onion, then spray the pot with olive oil spray and add the onion to fry. Once the onion starts to turn brown, add a tablespoon of minced garlic, stir well, and cook for a further minute.
- While the onion cooks, chop your yellow capsicum and jalapeños.
- Once the onion has browned nicely, add the mince and stir well. Then add the tomatoes, the herbs and spices, and a little salt to taste, and stir well.
- Add the chopped capsicum and jalapeños, and again stir well.
- Drain and rinse a can of kidney beans, and add those to the pot. Add a good squirt of lemon or lime juice (up to about 50mL) and stir well again.
- If you’ve cooked rice separately, then the chilli is ready to serve once the meat has been cooking for about 20 minutes. If you have not cooked rice separately, though, now add 250g of uncooked rice and 500mL of chicken stock. Stir well, then turn the heat up if necessary to bring to a boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat down to low, then cook without touching it for 20 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave to stand for a further 10 minutes, then give a final serve and stir.
- Calories per serve: 467
- Carbs: 68g
- Fibre: 8.6g
- Sugars: 10.1g
- Protein: 28g
- Fats: 10g
- Vitamin A: 21% RDI
- Vitamin C: 148% RDI
- Vitamin K: 15% RDI
- Folate: 46µg
- Calcium: 104mg
- Iron: 4.2mg